Orem is home to more than 4,000 businesses and is a hotbed for technology companies. Many internationally recognized companies such as Novell, WordPerfect, PowerQuest, Blendtec, and many more got their start in Orem.
The City of Orem has a great economic development team that helps business start, grow, and stay in Orem.
BUSINESS LICENSING RESOURCES
- Renew my Business License
- Commercial Business License Online Application
- Home Occupation License Online Application
- Close a Business License Account
- Business Name Change / Location Change Form
- Business License Inspection Checklist
OTHER FORMS & APPLICATIONS
(1) Register your Business Name: Start by registering your business name with the State of Utah. This can be done at their web site: http://corporations.utah.gov/.
(2) Heath Certificate: If the nature of your business is any of the following, you will need to contact the Utah County Health Department to complete all of their requirements.
- Any business that serves and/or makes food or handles unpackaged foods in any way
- Pools or spas that will have public access
- Tattooing or piercing establishments
- Tanning beds open to the public
- Underground storage of gas for public access
- Used oil collection sites
You must complete this step prior to applying for an Orem City business license. The Health Department can be reached at 151 South University Avenue, Provo, 801-851-7000 or www.UtahCountyHealth.org.
(3) Fill out an Application: If your business will be in your home, complete the “Home Business License Online Application”. If your business will have an office or commercial location, complete the “Commercial Business License Online Application.”
(4) Verification of Applicant: we require a photocopy of the owner’s driver’s license or another current photo ID if you do not have a driver’s license.
(5) Other Requirements: Specific types of business may have additional requirements. Call 801-229-7052 for details.
What is the purpose of a business license?
The purpose of a Business License in the City of Orem is to regulate and license business and occupations within the corporate limit of the City.
1. To determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances.
2. To maintain a safe environment for the general public.
3. To make sure that zoning and building codes are enforced.
4. To maintain a list of currently licensed businesses for public access.
5. To ensure that sales tax is properly remitted.
How long is an Orem business license valid?
A City of Orem business license is valid for one year beginning in the month you apply. All City of Orem business
licenses expire each year on the last day of the month you originally applied. A renewal form will be sent to you 45 days before your current license expires.
When will I need to get a new Orem business license?
If your business moves from one location to another within the City of Orem, it will be necessary to complete a change of location form. This may require a new building and/or fire inspection.
If your business changes ownership, it will be necessary to close your business license and apply as a new business under the new ownership.
If your business changes its name, it will be necessary to complete a business name change form.
What happens if my business moves out of Orem or closes?
If your business moves out of Orem or you close your business, please ‘click here’ for the proper form to close your Orem location and return it by mail to: City of Orem, Attn: Bus. Licensing, 56 N State St, Orem, UT 84057 or fax to: 801-229-7169.
For complete information regarding business license compliance, rules, and regulations please refer to the City of Orem Code on the internet.
· Land Use
For complete information regarding business license compliance, rules, and regulations please refer to the City of Orem Code online.
Licenses and Business Regulations
Wastewater Control and Treatment
*The only time you will NOT need to complete this step is when you are using your own given name with no additions, as the business name (ie. John Doe, NOT John Doe Window Washing). If you are doing it this way and are selling a product, you will need to contact the Utah State Tax Commission at 801-374-7070 to obtain a sales tax number.
|Home Occupation Base Fee1||$40.00|
|Home Occupation Inspection (if applicable)||$60.00|
|Commercial License Per Employee Fee1||$10.00|
|Change of Business Location2||$20.00|
|Change of Ownership||$20.00|
|Change of Business Name||$20.00|
|Reprint/Copy of Business License||$5.00|
|Late Fee3||3 See note below regarding late fees.|
|Transient Merchant Cash Bond||N/A|
|Temporary Business Cash Bond4||$300.00 or $3,000 surety bond|
|Pawn Broker Surety Bond||$3,000 surety bond|
|Private Investigator Cash Bond||$300.00 or $3,000 surety bond|
|Christmas Tree Lot Cash Bond4||$50.00|
|Fireworks Stand Cash Bond4||$300.00|
|Towing and Parking Enforcement Bonds||$1,000.00|
Notes of Interest:
1 Full fee payable per year on base fee and license fee. Call for exact fees at the time of application. Home occupation businesses with no one coming to the home for business generally do not pay a licensing fee.
2Any new or re-located commercial business is required to have a commercial inspection.
3 Late fees for home occupation businesses are the following: 31-120 days $20.00. Payment after 121 days is $30.00. Commercial business late fees are 31-120 days $30.00. Payment after 121 days is $30.00 + an additional 10% each following month.
4Seasonal/Temporary businesses are required to pay cash bonds or have surety bonds.
Download the Orem City Business License Application.
You may download and print our online application by clicking here.