Orem's Annual Kindness Week
Hello everyone! My name is Glory Thomas and I’m the Founder and Chair of the Orem Kindness Committee and Kindness Week.
Kindness Week was founded in 2016 to cultivate a culture of kindness within our community. It has since evolved into a Kindness Committee that meets monthly to discuss our themes and plan kindness-focused events around them. Kindness is empathy in action and the Kindness Committee strives to provide people with opportunities to practice kindness in their daily lives.
One of my goals is to take Kindness Week to the statewide and nationwide level. I’m so proud of Orem City for leading out in this endeavor and truly being the one to make the difference by glowing with kindness. Together, we will light up our nation through our own unique acts of kindness.
Please join us in 2023 for our 8th annual Orem Kindness Week, Nov. 13 – 18 to help continue the culture of kindness in Orem!
We are partnering with the Orem Police Department to collect items for those experiencing homelessness in our community. The following items are needed:
- New, unused sleeping bags (compact, rated 10 degrees or less)
- Gift cards to local grocery stores ($5-$10 amounts preferred)
- Small bottles of water
- Feminine hygiene products (pads and tampons)
- Travel-sized toiletries (shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
All items must be NEW. Please coordinate item drop off with Kamryn at 801-229-7077 or email@example.com.
Kindness Week Agenda 2023
- Monday, Nov. 13 • Kindness Starts with Me / Kindness Kickoff– Join us at the SCERA Center for the Arts, Room 201 from 7-8 PM for a benefit concert that celebrates kindness.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14 • Kindness in our World – Give 3 compliments to 3 people in person or on social media or complete the star pack challenge and use the hashtag #oremkindnessweek
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 • Kindness in our Families – Serve your family members!
- Thursday, Nov. 16 • Kindness in our Neighborhoods – Serve your neighbors and submit entries for the Kindest Neighborhood in Orem! Also, join us at PTA Pie Night at Orem High School from 7 – 8:30 PM.
- Friday, Nov. 17 • Kindness in our Schools & Workplaces – Serve your classmates and colleagues and submit entries for the Kindest School & Business in Orem.
- Saturday, Nov. 18 • Kindness in our Community – Circle of Kindness Activity at the Orem Family Fitness Center from 3 – 5 PM. Come help with service projects benefiting several different public service organizations. Fun giveaways and refreshments will be provided and Kindness Awards will also be presented here!
- Monday, Nov. 20 • Continue the Kindness – Watch for a post of the week’s events on the City’s social media pages
Orem Kindness Week Sponsors
Applebee’s, Bahama Buck’s, Cotopaxi, Crumbl, Dairy Queen, Gabb, J. Dawgs, MiDiCi, Orem Family Fitness Center, SCERA, Serenity Day Spa, TURN Community Services, Wienerschnitzel
Orem Kindness Week Award Winners - 2023
Kindness Ambassadors: Shirley Cottrell, Darrell Mauerman
Kindest Schools: Westmore Elementary, Aspen Elementary
Kindest Businesses: Gardenias 84 Studio Venue, The Refuge Utah
Kindest Neighborhoods: Windsor Neighborhood, Geneva Heights Neighborhood
In 2023, join us to “Continue the Kindness” with Orem’s Kindness Committee. Check out our quarterly themes and activities, and discover ways you can be kind to others (and yourself!) all year long below.
October - December 2023: Be Kind to the Community
Look for ways to serve individuals and organizations in your community.
Join us as we celebrate our 8th annual Kindness Week from November 13 – 18, 2023. See the full schedule of events above, and submit entries for the Kindest Neighborhood, School, Workplace, and Kindness Ambassador here!
Use this star kit to write kind notes to a friend, classmate, or neighbor.
Heart Attack Activity
We all have people around us who need a little boost of encouragement and love. During February, pick up “Heart Attack Starter Packs” at the Orem Public Library or use our instructions and template to cut out hearts at home. Write kind notes on the hearts and tape them on your friend’s door. Take a photo and submit it here to be entered into a giveaway for amazing Valentine’s Day prizes!
Hope4Orem & Orem Kindness Senior Scholarship
Graduating seniors of Mountain View, Orem High, Timpanogos, and UCAS can apply to win one of four $500 scholarships! Apply here between February 1 – March 1, 2023.
March 9: TURN Community Services Mr. Inspiration Pageant
Earth Day Activity
Letters to Veterans
Geneva Heights Neighborhood
Kindness Ambassador Award 2017
Scera Elementary, Cascade Elementary, Timpanogos High School
Sunshine Heroes Foundation
Kindness Award Winners 2016
Gleason Family, Bleyl Family, Nalani Young
Timpanogos High School, Cascade Elementary, Northridge Elementary
J-U-B Engineers, Inc., Miracle Bowl, Quick Quack Car Wash
Mercedes Benz of Lindon & Geneva Elementary
North Main Street Neighborhood, Windsor Neighborhood