1450 W 550 N | 801.229.7500 | PUBLICWORKS@OREM.ORG
24-hour Storm Water Hotline: 801.229.7577
Emergency After Hours: 801.229.7070
About Storm Water

What is Storm Water?

Storm Water Structures

Storm Water Fees

Street Sweeping


Home Owner Resources

Business Owner Resources

Storm Water Quality Credit Program

Irrigation Map

Illicit Discharges

Construction SWPPP

Developing in Orem: Storm Water

Long-Term Storm Water Management

Good Housekeeping

Storm Water Management Plan

Storm Water Master Plan

Storm Water Ordinance

Storm Water System Design Manual

drainThe Storm Water Utility is a Section of the Maintenance Division of Public Works. We operate and maintain the city’s storm drains year-round to minimize flooding and water pollution within the City of Orem.

The City of Orem storm drainage system is a separate storm water collection and conveyance system. It is not connected in any manner to the wastewater collection system.

Storm water is not filtered or cleaned before it is released to Utah Lake, the Provo River, or to the groundwater, so it can be a pollutant if it is not kept clean. It is a Federal and State offense to put anything other than normal storm water runoff into a storm drain. If you see any illegal dumping, or if you have a question, please call our 24-Hour Storm Water Hotline @ 801-229-7577.

Please direct any questions you have about storm water to the following people:

  • Rick Sabey, Field Supervisor @ 801-229-7545
  • Danny Spray, Project Manager, Construction SWPPPs @ 801-229-7573
  • Matt Petersen, Project Manager, Long-Term Storm Water Management @ 801-229-7574
  • Steve Johnson, Engineering Specialist @ 801-229-7556



Storm Water Protection Training / Videos

Contractor Resources

In 2002, the City Council approved a newly revised stormwater ordinance. One of the biggest changes is the need for a Storm Water Construction Activity Permit on all construction activities that disturb the earth. To help ease the transition into getting permits for all construction activities, the City has provided the following resources:

  1. Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan “BMPs”
  2. Tracking Dirt From Construction Sites
  3. Federal Register with NPDES Phase II Final Rule
  4. State of Utah Storm Water Program

The Land Disturbance Permit (LDP) was instituted to comply with the UPDES (Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) Permit Issued by the State of Utah as means to prevent discharge of sediment and other construction related pollutants from being discharged into storm water runoff. Sediment and debris from construction sites are a major source of pollution to waterways and water systems located within the City and surrounding areas. Each year storm water runoff also clogs and obstructs storm drains, culverts, and canals and causes damage to private property, wildlife habitat and water quality.

Who Must Submit a Notice of Intent to the State’s UPDES Construction General Permit?

  • Operators of construction activities resulting in land disturbance equal to or greater than one acre.
  • Operators of construction activities resulting in land disturbance less than one acre that are part of a larger Common Plan of Development (CPoD)  or sale that ultimately disturbs one or more acres. A larger common plan of development or sale is a contiguous area where separate and distinct construction activities may be taking place at different times on different schedules. General permit coverage is required if one or more acres of land will be disturbed, regardless of the size of the individually owned or developed sites. For example, if a developer buys a 20-acre lot and builds roads with the intention of building homes or other structures in the future, or if the land is parceled off or sold, and construction occurs on plots that are less than an acre by separate, independent builders, these activities would still be subject to stormwater permitting requirements. A larger common plan of development or sale applies to various types of land development including but not limited to residential, commercial or industrial use.

Who must apply for a Land Disturbance Permit?

  • Operators of construction activities resulting in land disturbance greater than 500 sq ft, but less than 1 acre in size that are not part of a CPoD as described above.

Environmental Issues

What Can I Do to Help Keep Storm Water Clean?

Call the Storm Water Hotline: 801-229-7577

Car Care

  1. Simple Steps to Keep a Clean Car and Clean Water
    1. Recycle Oil
    2. Use Commercial Car Washes
    3. Keep Your Car Tuned Up
    4. Repair Leaks
    5. Recycle Antifreeze
    6. Return Used Batteries
    7. Check Tire Pressure
    8. Use Up Paints, Polishes, and Brushes
    9. Substitute Shoveling for Salt
    10. Drive Less

Resources for Car Washing


Lawn Fertilizer-Fertilizing the Lawn

  1. Fertilizer Use
  2. Leftover Fertilizer
  • Disposal
  1. Reducing the Need for Fertilizer


Storm Water Treatment

  1. Storm Water Treatment
  2. Piped Systems
  • Detention Basins
  1. Constructed Wetlands
  2. Sumps
  3. Oil/Water Separators
  • Amount of Water Treated
  1. Street Sweeping Program
  2. Sweeping Vs Spraying
  3. Water Conservation

Stormwater Credit Program

Application Package PDF


Coming Soon

Wellhead Protection Zones

View Now