I’m interested in finishing my basement. It looks like I’ll need to cut into the load-bearing wall. Is a standard contractor authorized to do that or must that be done by a structural engineer?

Generally, an engineer would be required to tell us the size of beam that would be needed to open the wall. But, there are instances where a contractor could tell you that.


  • About Orem
  • Communications
  • Events


  • City of Orem
  • 56 N. State Street
  • Orem, UT 84057

© 2021 City of Orem. All Rights Reserved.