Get a Job with the City of Orem

How do I get a job with the City of Orem?

All employment opportunities are posted online. The application is completed and submitted online as well. You can view current openings here. 

Engage with the Justice Court

How do I pay a court fine, fee, or ticket?

Pay online:

Pay in person:

Appear at the City of Orem Justice Court located at 97 E Center, Orem, Monday – Friday (excluding most state & national holidays) between the hours of 8 am – 4:45 pm.

Pay by phone:

Payment by credit card can be made over the phone by calling (801) 724-3900, Monday – Friday (excluding most state and national holidays) between the hours of 8 am – 4:45 pm.

Pay by mail:

Remit check or money order.  Do not send cash.  Include citation or case number on the check or money order.  Payments need to be received by the court timely to avoid additional penalty amounts.  Mail payment to the City of Orem Justice Court, 97 E Center, Orem, Ut  84057.

How do I pay parking tickets?

Parking tickets can be paid at the Public Safety building.

How do I know if I qualify for Traffic School?

The City of Orem offers a traffic school class as an option in resolving a moving violation through the following steps:  

Make your request for approval online (Online Forms tab), or appear at the City of Orem Justice Court within 14 days from the date of your ticket to determine if you are eligible for a traffic school option.

Eligibility is based on your driving history.  The clerks at the justice court will not be able to approve you for traffic school if you have any of the following conditions:

  • Three (3) or more plea in abeyances/convictions for moving violations on your driving record.
  • You currently have an active plea in abeyance agreement with the City of Orem Justice court.
  • Citation is for an alcohol related offense.
  • Citation is for a reckless driving offense.
  • Citation was for speeding that exceeds 30 mph over the posted limit or if your speed was double the posted limit.
  • Citation requires a mandatory appearance before the judge.

If you are determined eligible the clerk will assist you with a plea in abeyance agreement which is required by State law and outlines the requirements for your case to be resolved.

The clerk can also assist in signing you up for traffic school at the same time you enter into your agreement.

Please be prepared to pay for traffic school and the plea in abeyance fee on the date you come into the justice court.

How do I file a small claims case?

The City of Orem Justice Court has jurisdiction over small claims cases if the defendant (person being sued) resides in Orem City or the debt arose within the Orem City limits.

Small claims can be filed for a claim up to $10,000.  The claim must be for actual damages (can’t file for treble damages).  

The fee to file a small claims case is:

$60 if the claim is less than $2,000

$100 if the claim is for $2,001 – $7,500

$185 if the claim is for $7,501 – $10,000

The court provides the forms needed to file a small claims for $1 or you can obtain them online at the State Court’s website.  

After the case is filed with the court, the plaintiff (person filing the claim) is responsible to serve the defendant notice of the suit and the trial date.  

Click here for complete information about small claims cases and sample forms.

How do I contest a ticket?

If you received a citation and have been directed on the citation to resolve it through the Orem City Justice Court, you are required to give the court 5 days to receive your citation information before you try to resolve it.  You will be given 20 calendar days from the date of the citation to resolve your citation before late fees will be added, and 45 days before a warrant will be issued.  

There are 3 ways to resolve your citation.  First, you can bail forfeit which means you are not contesting the citation and want to pay it to resolve it.  If you want this option, you can make your payment over the phone by calling the Orem Justice Court at 801-724-3900 and select option 8, you can pay in person at 97 E Center Street, Orem or you can pay online at

If you were cited for a moving violation, you may be eligible to resolve your citation through traffic school.  Traffic school is a 3 hour class offered several times a month to accommodate various schedules.  Resolving your citation through traffic school will avoid having points added to your driving record.  Please be aware there is an additional fee to take traffic school and you will need to either make your request for approval online at or appear in person at 97 E Center, Orem, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to determine if you qualify for the traffic school option and to sign a plea in abeyance agreement.

The third option is to contest your citation.  This will require that you appear in person at 97 E Center Street, Orem to sign a promise to appear for a court date.  At your court date you will be given the option to talk to the prosecutor to see if a resolution can be reached in your matter.

Pay and Manage my Utility Bill

How do I pay my utility bill?

For your convenience, the City provides multiple ways for you to pay your utility bill. The following options are all acceptable ways to pay your bill:

  • You can call the automated payment hotline at 801-229-7222 which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • You can pay securely online through
  • You can set up auto-pay using any of the major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express). The amount due will be charged to your credit/debit card each month on the due date. This method can be set up over the phone by calling 801-229-7275
  • You can set up auto-pay from your bank. The amount due each month will be withdrawn from your bank account on your due date. To set this form of payment, come in to the Utility Billing Office at the City Center and sign the authorization form and provide a cancelled check 
  • You can use your banks online bill pay service. Check with your bank to see if they offer this service
  • You can pay by check through the mail. A return envelope is enclosed for your convenience
  • You can pay in person at 56 N. State St in Room 110. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m on Friday. There is also a drop box at the north end of the building by the Library book drop.
  • You can also call 801-229-7275 and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to take your payment using a credit or debit card. 

How do I sign up for paperless billing?

Click here to sign up for paperless billing.

What are the Utility Billing Office hours?

The Utility Billing Office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m on Friday.

What if my garbage hasn't been picked up?

If your garbage hasn’t been picked up, please contact Waste Management at 801-785-3000.

What if my garbage container has been broken, stolen, or lost?

If your garbage container is broken or missing, call 801-229-7275 to order a replacement.

How long can I go without payment before my water is shut off?

Any account with a past due balance in excess of sixty (60) days will receive a disconnect notice in the mail. If there is no response by the date set forth in the notice, the City will discontinue service as the specified property. A $50 reconnection fee will be charged to the account even if the water to the premises is not shut off. A field service fee of $25 may be charged any time a City representative is required to visit the premises.

How do I get a complimentary dump pass?

Dump passes are given out twice a year, once in the Spring and once in Fall. Dump passes are included in your mailed bill. If you are a paperless customer, your March and October email notification will include a reminder about the dump pass. If you want one, you can either come into the Utility Billing Office or call 801-229-7275 and request one be mailed to you.

Build, Remodel, or Schedule an Inspection

When is a Building Permit required?

Any person who remodels, repairs (with some exceptions), constructs, moves, demolishes, enlarges or changes the use of a building or causes electrical, plumbing, heating or air conditioning work to be done, or plans to apply stucco, siding or to re-roof, needs to apply for a building permit with the City of Orem Building Safety Division.  For examples of which types of work need and do not need permits, click on the following link.  What Needs a Permit?

Where can I get a Building Permit Application?

You can access the application form here or pick one up in the Development Services Office at the City Center at 56 N State St.

Is a Building Permit required to remodel my house?

Yes. Almost all insurance companies will deny coverage if construction took place without a permit and was not built to code.

Who do I call to schedule an inspection?

Call (801) 229-7060 or (801) 229-7059 for Inspection Scheduling or Code Questions.

How can I view my Building Inspection results?

You can view your Building Inspection results online by clicking here.

Find out what is Happening in the City

How do I find out what new businesses are coming to Orem?

The best place to find up-to-date information about new businesses in Orem is the City’s Economic Development website

How do I contact the Mayor or City Council?

You can email or call the Mayor or City Council Members. You will find their contact information here. If you would like to schedule a meeting with the Mayor, please call 801-229-7035.

How do I find out about events, activities, and issues facing the City?

The City is very active on social media and following the City on Twitter or liking the City on Facebook is one of the best ways to stay in the know. The City also sends out email newsletters and continually updates the City website with information that will help you stay informed on all things Orem. 

See all the ways you can stay in the know

Make a Park Pavilion Reservation

How do I reserve a park pavilion?

Park pavilions can be reserved online. Click here to make your reservation.

Become a Senior Friendship Center Member

How much are the membership fees?

Membership fees for the Senior Friendship Center are $7 per year for individuals age 55 to 79. Individuals age 80 and over are considered “Golden Members” and receive a free annual membership for life.

How do I sign up for lunch and how much is it?

If you want to join us for lunch, please inform the main office at least 1 business day in advance by calling 801-229-7111.  

Lunch is $6 for individuals 60 and under. 

For individuals 60 and over, a $3 donation is requested.

Access Public Records and Voting Information

Where can I find the agenda and minutes from public meetings?

All public meeting agendas can be found here

All public meeting minutes can be found here

Where can I find out about voting, election rules, regulations, and outcomes?

You can view voting and election information and frequently asked questions by clicking here

How can I request public records?

You can request public records by filling out this request form

How can I view the City's budget?

You can view multiple fiscal years of the City’s budget here

Obtain a Passport

Where can I obtain a passport?

The Help Center is a Passport Acceptance Agency and can assist you in applying for and receiving a United States passport or passport card. 

The Help Center is located in Room 110 in the Orem City Center at 56 N State St.

The hours for passport applications are as follows:

Monday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

No appointment is necessary.

How much does a passport cost?

Please note that payment is received in two parts: one part paid to the City of Orem and one part paid to the US Department of State. Please bring a check or money order to pay the US Department of State Passport fee. 

Passport Fees Age EXECUTION FEE
Payable to the City of Orem
Check or Money Order Only
Payable to the U.S. Dept. of State
Passport Book Under Age 16 $35 $80 $115
Age 16 and Over $35 $110 $145
Passport Card Under Age 16 $35 $15 $50
Age 16 and Over $35 $30 $65
Both Under Age 16 $35 $95 $130
Age 16 and Over $35 $140 $175

How long does it take to process passport applications?

If everything is in order, you will have your passport in hand in 4 to 6 weeks.

Get City Infrastructure Problems Fixed

Where can I recycle my antifreeze or motor oil?

The City’s fleet management division will recycle antifreeze and motor oil for you free of charge. You can drop it off Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, at the Orem Public Works building, 1450 W 550 N.

How do I report a problem with a street light in the City?

Please report any issue with a street light to the Public Works office 801-229-7500.

What do I need to do to safely dig a hole in my backyard for a basketball hoop, pool, tree, etc?

Call Blue Stakes at 1-800-662-4111 and they will come and mark out the utilities on your property for free.