- Orem News
- Administrative Services
- City Manager's Dept.
- Development Services
- Public Works
The 2019 International Economic Development Council Future Forum was held in SLC June 9-11 and attended by Brenn and Kathi. Some highlights include information on Industry 4.0 ( I 4.0 refers to a new phase in the Industrial Revolution that focuses heavily on interconnectivity, automation, machine learning, and real-time data.), futures thinking for economic development, and the new collar workers of the future: training workers in a combination of traditional academic credentials and industry credentials.
Canyon Park Tech Center’s Grand Relaunch was held on Friday, June 21 to showcase The 8.6 million dollar revitalization project currently underway by the Muller Company, a real estate investment and development firm. The 14 building campus that was once the home of WordPerfect was acquired by the Muller Co. two years ago. Currently, approximately half of the 924,634 SF office campus is occupied, and the Muller Co. is working with a real estate company to acquire additional tenants.
Economic Development Partial Plan Update – Sales Leakage and Capture Rates – The partial plan update was presented to the City Council at the June 18th Work session by Benj Becker, VP of Zions Public finance. Highlights include: Orem has maintained the edge as the regional retail hub of Utah County, while improvement in accommodation and gasoline station sales can be made in order to capture more of these sales.
Data center Storage Area Network (SAN) has been installed and some of our virtual servers have already been migrated to the new technology.
Help Desk area furniture has been install and we are waiting for the cabling and soundproofing to get installed. We anticipate this will happen this week.
Senior center cabling for the hosting of Fitness Center activities has be finished and the FC personnel have been moving in this week.
Court new Audio/video enhancements are nearing completion and should be finished this weekend.
- June 3, 4, and 5 were our Wild West Kickoff events for the Summer Reading Program. Over 1000 patrons participated in hands-on activities including horseshoe throwing, roping cattle, panning for gold, squirt gun sharpshooting, Wild West dress up, and a cowboy puppet show.
- June 10-15, patrons came to the library any time during open hours to participate in Children’s Box City by building a miniature city out of cardboard boxes and art supplies. 170 participated in this program.
- June 17-22, teens participated in History Mysteries. Using the clues in the box and evidence throughout the library, teens worked to solve real life mysteries and earn champion sleuth status. 52 teens participated.
- June 24-29, 600 patrons participated in Badge Blitz Week, a week of activities that families could complete any time during library hours.
- Outreach volunteers worked over 200 hours in June to help with the Summer Reading Program.
- New items in the Makerspace – two video rigs – one Video Production Kit to checkout, one for the studio/in-house use. Each rig has a handheld stabilizer mount, a camera lens, a spot for your phone, camera or recorder, an LED spotlight, a cardioid microphone and a lapel microphone. The studio rig uses the new iPhone 8 for video recording, and a donated iPhone 5 acts as a teleprompter behind our new teleprompter. Patrons can come use the green screen studio, enter their text and read off the teleprompter as it records. The Video Production Kit can be checked out for two days, and can be used to make movies, wedding videos, documentaries, Vlogs, podcasts, storytelling, anything. The Moment lenses include wide angle and anamorphic lenses, which will give any device a cinematic look.
- Hosted a county wide track meet on June 1 with over 800 participants
- Started T-Ball (34 teams), Coach Pitch (24 teams), Machine Pitch (12 teams) on Sat June 1
- Started Summer Youth Camps, Summer Tennis Lessons and League, Lacrosse
- Started Summer Rec Swim Team
- Started Summer Swim Lessons
- Hosted Rec Center Remodel Public Open House on June 27
- Last day of operation for the current building was Saturday, June 29. Closed for demolition and construction of the new Family Fitness Center.
- Awarded Kyle Bilbao the Orem Rec “Volunteer of the Year” award at the annual CURPA Volunteer Award Banquet in Spanish Fork
We always look forward to June because it is filled with all manner of pinkness as we celebrate National Flamingo Day in style.
Check out our pictures and our amazing Ukulele Club that entertained:
We are making preparations for the fitness center to come and share our space and hope that we will see you soon!