Orem Animal Control is staffed by two full-time Animal Control Officers, under the direction of the Orem Police Department. Normal business hours for Animal Control are 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Saturday.
Orem Animal Control officers are responsible for enforcing the animal control ordinances of Orem City. Most Orem animal control ordinances can be found in Chapter 5 of the Orem City Code also has some good information regarding animals in the city.
Please call 801-229-7070 to report all non-emergency animal control issues.
Frequently Asked Animal Questions
Except as otherwise provided in the city code, no person may harbor or possess more than two (2) dogs or two (2) cats, four (4) months of age or older.
Call non-emergency dispatch (801-229-7070) and file a complaint. Either an Animal Control Officer or Orem Police Officer will respond to investigate. It helps to have the exact address where the offending dog(s) is located.
Yes. Dogs must be leashed at all times, even in a majority of the city parks. The only city park available to let dogs run free is at the dog park area at Timpanogos Park.
Dogs, cats, and other small animals collected by Orem Animal Control are sheltered at the North Utah Valley Animal Shelter (NUVAS) located at 193 N 2000 W, Lindon, (801) 785-3442. NUVAS offers information regarding lost & found animals, pet adoptions, and dog licenses.
Larger animals (horses, goats, etc.) collected by Orem Animal Control are sheltered at the South Utah Valley Animal Shelter located at 582 W 3000 N, Spanish Fork, (801) 851-4080
Get a live trap from Orem City and trap the animal, then contact non-emergency dispatch (801-229-7070) and Animal Control will come retrieve the animal, leaving the live trap for you.
For Orem residents, live traps are available from the city for a $100 deposit. Traps can be kept for up to 2 weeks. Your deposit will be returned to you when you return the trap, as long as the trap is still in good working condition.
To get a trap come to the front desk of the Orem Police Dept, 95 E Center Street; they will issue the trap to you.
The North Utah Valley Animal Shelter, located at 193 N. 2000 W. in Lindon, handles all animals from Orem and other cities in northern Utah County.
The shelter is open Monday – Friday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (closed Wednesday from 12:00 – 2:00 pm for staff training).
- Dog Licenses, Cat and Dog Vaccinations – Orem City ordinance requires that all dogs over the age of four months be licensed with the City. Licenses are available at the North Utah Valley Animal Shelter in Lindon, or online through the City of Orem. The City also requires that all dogs and cats be current with their rabies vaccinations. You must provide proof of the rabies vaccination to get a license for your dog or cat. Licensing your pet is an annual obligation and license fees are $15.00 for a spayed or neutered animals and $35.00 for an unaltered animal.
- Dogs and Cats at Large – City ordinance requires that dogs and cats are kept contained, whether on the pet owner’s property or anywhere else within the city limits.
- Barking Dogs – Excessive barking anytime during the day or night is a violation of city ordinance. Please be aware of what your pet is up to and be a courteous pet owner and a good neighbor.
- Adopting a Pet – For more information about adopting a pet visit the animal shelter’s website: NorthUtahValleyAnimalShelter.org
* DON’T FORGET TO TAG US IN YOUR POSTS WITH #OREMPD OR #OREMPOLICE *